Fall Home and HVAC Preparation Tips
Fall Home and HVAC Preparation Tips
We’d like to officially wish everybody a Happy Fall Season as the first day of Fall is now beyond us! Now with that being said, we wanted to give our blog readers a list of items that can be performed around the house to make your home more energy efficient for the Fall and the (very near) upcoming heating season! Check out our list of Fall Home and HVAC Preparation Tips to find out what you can do to make sure your home is ready to take on the cold weather months here in the Chicago Suburbs!
- Have Your Furnace Maintained- It’s time to face the inevitable, you are going to have to start using your furnace very soon, if you haven’t turned it on already. Getting an annual Preventative Maintenance Check on your furnace is extremely important for a variety of reasons. One, if your equipment is under warranty, many manufacturers require you to have your furnace maintained in order to keep your equipment covered. Two, if your furnace is maintained on an annual basis, you are greatly reducing the likelihood of a breakdown as your technician will be able to detect any possible problems your furnace may be experiencing at the time of service. Nortek Environmental, Inc. proudly offers a 22-Point Certified Furnace Cleaning, Tune-Up and Inspection which is one of the best Furnace Maintenance Services offered. If you want to set up your appointment, please call us at (630) 548-1500 to get you set up for our soonest possible appointment!
- Make Sure Your Doors and Windows are Sealed - This is extremely important and is usually very easy to implement in your home. We advise that you feel the sealing around your doors and windows to see if you can feel any cool air coming into your home. If you do, we advise sealing them with the proper materials, which can usually be found at Home Improvement Stores. Ask you local Home Improvement Store Staff members what they would advise to seal your home’s doors and windows to keep that warm air from escaping your home!
- Always Check the Weather - This can help save you some cash on your upcoming utility bills. Check the forecast and see what the temperatures are expected to be throughout the day. You may find a few perfect Fall days that allow you to turn your furnace off and open up the windows in your home! Not having to use your furnace at all can definitely help reduce the costs of your home’s utility bills!
- Replace Furnace Filters on a Regular Basis – While, in the past, we have designated entire blogs to discuss the importance of replacing your furnace filters, we want to remind you again here how important changing your furnace filter is in regards to allowing your furnace to run properly. Furnace filters should be changed on a monthly basis. Large home appliance and hardware stores typically stock almost all sizes of furnace filters. If you ever have an issue locating your filter size, please contact Nortek Environmental, Inc. at (630) 548-1500 and we will assist you in locating the appropriate size.
- Don’t Block Your Vents! – Believe it or not, a very common cause of improper home heating has to do with homeowners covering up their vents, blocking the warm air from entering their home. Use this Fall to make sure that none of your vents are blocked and ready to let out warm air to heat your home!
- Get Your Humidifier Ready – The most common month to use your humidifier is the winter, so take this upcoming fall to prepare your humidifier for being used. Make sure it’s running properly and never hesitate to contact Nortek Environmental, Inc. at (630) 548-1500 if you have any concerns. Also, did you know that your humidifier, when in use, can make your home feel 3 degrees warmer than it actually is? This means you can turn your furnace down while your humidifier is on and save money on your next utility bill!
We hope our list of Fall Home and HVAC Preparation Tips helped you in getting your home ready for the upcoming heating season. If you have any questions about anything in this article, would like to schedule your 22 Point Certified Furnace Cleaning, Tune-Up and Inspection, or have any HVAC related inquires, never hesitate to call us at (630) 548-1500!